I didn't expect to be writing a blog from Newton at this time of year. I am happy to say that my dad is doing very well after his stroke. But, my goodness did we have a scare. Last Friday, my Aunt Jane Anne called me to say that my dad had a stroke and was being transported to Springfield to St. John's. I am pretty proud of the fact that I didn't break down into oblivion. Instead, the counselor calm crept out in me and I asked her the facts: When did it happen? How bad was it? Who is with him? Is he able to communicate? I waited until after I got off the phone with her to break down. Then I thought, "Call Sherry." She of course broke down all the medical terminology for me and told me that if he is already using his left side and speaking well, then he should be ok. Long story short, after he was admitted and made huge strides in recovery, my plans to go home changed from going immediately, to waiting until he was discharged from the hospital. So, I got in last night. Would you believe that he is going golfing tomorrow? I just love my dad. Seeing him here has made me (and him) appreciate life so much more. I can't believe how good it was to see him last night for the first time after the news. I am so so so blessed that he is ok. In a way, I think this all happened for a reason. Our family has kind of taken things for granted and been pretty demoralized and negative since mom died. This has made everyone so thankful and just relieved. God thank you so much for every day that we have on earth. If we can only make other's lives better while we are here, it is all worth it.
Take care everyone.
8 comments:
Glad to hear that he is doing better. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Glad to hear your dad is doing ok! Something similar happened to my Mom in March. It could have been so much worse. It makes you think! We've got you and your Dad in our prayers.
Wow, Jen. Glad to hear he is doing OK.
But since you are home...maybe you'll get to enjoy some of the Fall Festival Fun.
Yes. Got to go to the parade today. It was so crazy to see people who we went to high school. Got to see Shasta's beautiful new baby girl. Has been very good to see dad. Thanks for everyone's comments.
Jen
Jenny,
So glad to hear your Dad is ok. We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Jennifer Hannaman, Sarah Diel here.
I have been so worried about your Dad and I am glad to hear that he is going to be ok. Your Dad is one of the rare good ones. He has always been so, so good to me and I just love him.
Your family does not deserve to go through this and I wish I knew why you had to.
I wish I would have gotten to see you at the Fall Festival! Your son is a doll.
Please get a hold of me if I can do anything for you, Carla, or your Dad!
Sarah
Hi Jenny,
I just figured out how to use your blog. I didn't hear about your dad until he was home. I did hear he went golfing. I heard he's buying a place in the country too. That sounds nice. Luke is a beautiful little boy. I hope you're doing well. I'm glad I have a way to talk with you now.
Your old neighbor, Terry
Terry Webb? If that is you, sorry I just got this. You will have to email me sometime to catch up:
campbelj105@gmail.com
Take care!
Post a Comment